Winton Motor Raceway lap records are expected to tumble this weekend as leading Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia presented by Pirelli racers set unprecedented lap times following the circuit’s recent resurfacing.
Following the Porsche series’ two Friday practice sessions, young gun Hamish Hardeman topped the combined times with a lap of 1:22.6254, posted in the day second practice session.
With the Winton race lap record currently standing at 1:24.4543 by reigning champion Ryan Simpson, a new top time is expected this weekend.
Series leader Jaxon Evans was the second fastest driver on Friday from top Elite Class racer Tim Miles and Porsche Junior, Jake Klarich.
The top 10 was completed by David Ryan, Brian Finn, Jim Campbell, Sam Shahin, Winton debutant Anthony Gilbertson and quickest Class B runner, Danny Stutterd.
Michael Stillwell was the 11th quickest from Ross McGregor, Michael Tsigeridis and Shane Barwood.
The series will hold its final practice session of the weekend tomorrow morning, followed by qualifying to determine the starting positions for the all-important opening Jim Richards Endurance Trophy race of the season.
The 35 lap event will be the first of three endurance style races of the season – which also includes races at Sydney Motorsport Park and Queensland Raceway – which will crown the endurance champion of the series-within-a-series.
A further two 12 lap races will be held on Sunday, both of which will be streamed live, along with the entire Sunday race programme, at the Shannons Australian Motor Racing Nationals website, www.thenationals.com.au.
Combined Practice Times
1. #10 Hamish Hardeman (Professional Class) Sonic/Arris Property Group – 1:22.6254*
2. #91 Jaxon Evans (Professional Class) Simulate-It/Willship – 1:22.8843s
3. #4 Tim Miles (Elite Class) CSF Radiators / Miles Advisory – 1:24.3566s
4. #95 Jake Klarich (Professional Class) Super Rooster – 1:24.3942s
5. #30 David Ryan (Elite Class) Wrightlands GAM Soltronic – 1:24.7447s
6. #82 Brian Finn (Elite Class) Laser 3D/Force Accessories – 1:24.8137s
7. #72 Jim Campbell (Elite Class) Power Street Racing – 1:25.1191s
8. #13 Sam Shahin (Elite Class) HTFU – 1:25.3931s
9. #19 Anthony Gilbertson (Elite Class) Motiv8 Racing / Hallmark Homes – 1:25.9920s
10. #32 Danny Stutterd (Class B) FREEM – 1:27.1281s
11. #6 Michael Stillwell (Elite Class) Logicar Australia – 1:27.2954s
12. #99 Ross McGregor (Elite Class) Southern Star Windows – 1:27.3047s
13. #81 Michael Tsigeridis (Class B) Hunter French Real Estate – 1:28.2386s
14. #21 Shane Barwood (Class B) Melbourne Orthopaedic Group – 1:29.1660s
Saturday June 11, 2016
9:30am-9:50am Practice 3 (20 minutes)
11:45am-12:05pm Qualifying (20minutes)
3:05pm Race 1 (35 laps)
Sunday June 12, 2016
10:25am Race 2 (12 laps)
1:40pm Race 3 (12 laps)